Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:42:50 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New to BSD and have a few questions.

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 04:30:37PM -0700, paul beard wrote:
> Mike Hogsett wrote:
> >>My question is what are common pitfalls a Linux user finds in a BSD
> >>world?
> >

> >Ok, time for the honest answer...
> >
> >Coming from Linux to BSD you'll find that many of the various utilities
> >(ps, ifconfig, route, etc.) are just a wee pit different, nothing too bad
> >and nothing the man pages won't help you with.

A few other things speaking as a fellow novice convert--sometimes (not
always) poorer support for hardware such as sound cards.  If you're a vi
user, you'll find that FreeBSD uses nvi by default rather than vim, so
there'll be a few differences there. =20

You'll also be pleasantly suprised, I expect, by its speed.  You didn't
say what distribution of Linux you were using, or perhaps, you were like
me, a bit of a distro slut. =20

On the plus side, just about everything goes in /usr/local so you won't
have to be hunting around for things (that is, most 3rd party apps)
ports is far better than most Linux package management systems,
especially rpms (though to be honest, Gentoo Linux's portage is
excellent) probably more stable.  Man pages--MUCH better in FreeBSD. =20
The Handbook though written by gurus is almost always understandable by
a non-guru. =20

There will be differences too, depending upon your distro--for example,
coming from Slackware or Gentoo, you'll find fewer differences than you
would from say, Mandrake or RedHat

--=20

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Willow, you're alive.
 Willow: Aren't I usually?

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j--